Wednesday, July 23, 2008

request, a new chart, and an announcement

Hi folks,

I have 3 things for this entry.

First of all, I just discovered I had a bunch of replies that I did not realize were there. Some of the requests were for personal assistance, but not email address was left. Please, if you would like me to repond, leave your email address if the following format (so you don't get increased spam) userid (at) whatever.huh such as freeaainnc (at) ncalhn.org (which is my email address. This will hopefully help keep you from getting more spam and also make it so I can respond to you 1 on 1 and work with you that way. You can also email me directly if you still don't feel comfortable with posting your email address.

Now for my news!
I recently got into a debate with a person about the south having more free blacks from the 1790-1860 census. I created a chart to help prove my point and you all are available to use this, just be aware that it is copyrighted (the format, not the actual content because the data itself is not copyrightable for anyone). It is available online at: http://www.ncalhn.org/fpoccensusstats1790-1860.pdf. It turns out that the main problem the person has with this is that the research is done using census data, which is admittedly not very reliable, at least when it comes to names and age, but I also believe it to be the best source we have on population data for the entire country during the time given. The census is not perfect, but until a time machine is invented and we can go back and count every single person for ourselves, it's the best source we have for population statistical data.

Finally, I am WAAAAAYYYYYYY behind on the new website. I'm pushing back the date to September 2nd, 2008 when it will be available (day after labor day). Hopefully I can meet that at least. My goal is to have 50 transcribe documents on the site before I open it up.

3 comments:

Sylvia Black said...

Hello Erin,

I hope that you were able to achieve your goal of graduation in May. I have just come across your blog and find your work very interesting. In your June 7, 2007 blog you stated "Spaulding is a surname I see a lot in connection with free Blacks in NC." I am a member of the Spaulding family. We just had our family reunion for which there were more than 450 participants. We have been able to trace our roots back to Benjamin (b. 1773) and Edith Jacobs Spaulding. You can find a history of our ancestry on our family website (www.spauldingfamily.com). I would be very interested in learning what references you have found to Spauldings in NC. Please respond to sylvblack@yahoo.com. I look forward to hearing from you. Sylvia Black

Anonymous said...

Good to meet you in the coffee house today. Thanks for all your work, too. Looks like a great contribution to history. I'll pass this site along to historian friends, especially those who are working in African American history. Thanks! - Brent

Chris said...

Hi Erin,
I was just wondering if maybe you had seen the Pettifords in Surry NC? It is spelled Petaford on their census, but it is the right family.